A place to share our frustrations, disasters and occasional successes in reducing and analyzing images using mscred.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Beware of Imshift!!

I just had a crazy experience.

I worked very hard to properly stack my images. I had a stacked H alpha and a stacked continuum. I needed to shift one so I could subtract them, so I used imshift with these parameters:

I R A F
Image Reduction and Analysis Facility
PACKAGE = immatch
TASK = imshift

input = stack_w16 Input images to be fit
output = goaty2 Output images
xshift = -0.8 Fractional pixel shift in x
yshift = 1.1 Fractional pixel shift in y
(shifts_= ) Text file containing shifts for each image
(interp_= sinc) Interpolant (nearest,linear,poly3,poly5,spline3,sinc,drizzle)
(boundar= nearest) Boundary (constant,nearest,reflect,wrap)
(constan= 0.) Constant for boundary extension
(mode = ql)

And my noise (standard deviation of sky) QUINTUPLED!!! (Went from 3ish to 15ish). I tried used interp=linear instead and everything was fine. My noise stayed the same as it was originally. So do NOT use interp=sinc!!!

(this is a bit confusing because when you are running mscimage, i believe that the interpolation of choice is sinc. hmmmm. maybe i should go back and check if that is affecting noise.)

A bit later...
Ok, just checked the results of mscimage and they seem ok. Even though I was using the sinc interpolant, this procedure does not seem to increase the noise in the images.whew.

1 comment:

gaystronomer said...

where can we find out more about the various interpolation options available? I must admit, I'm not sure what interpolation using a sinc function actually does!